Ramblings of TheFraix

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

I've decided where I'm going to study

One of the most annoying questions I face daily is:
"When are you going to Australia?" or "When are you leaving for America?"

I admit my vision and mission statement hasn't been clearly stated last year, and I wanted to go anywhere GOD would sent me. My wife and I prayed together and hoped to go to Australia, but the way things are going there hasn't been well. My mom reported the increased number of discrimination incidents toward Asians (and non-whites), as well the Australian work ethics that are far more laid back.

Now, going to the United States is like a dream. A dream of hope, opportunity and freedom. For awhile the dream seem so much like a... fantasy or wishful thinking. I haven't been there since I was six, and I really wanted to go home, to the place I first grew up as a boy.

My spouse had bad experiences trying to apply for visa to get there. The first was when her sister Esther got married and start settling in Baldwin Park. Sanny and her mom tried to go there, but Sanny's visa application was rejected. The second time was far worse, the application officer torn her paper in shreds right in front of her.

There was a proper good reasoning why her second application was denied: She hasn't finished her studies, and the Embassy was afraid she'd become an illegal immigrant there.

I myself never dreamed to go to USA just for vacation. To me, going 'home' is a very heart touching matter. I have to go there for good, or at least for a long duration. Studying there would bring me much joy.

So listed my options, and boy! How many options were there?
Studying game design somewhere near Indonesia (like Singapore or Australia). Eventually I applied for "Master of Games and Simulations Programming" in Edith Cowan University. Soon I was accepted for the February entrance semester. Ridiculously, the provisional letter (meaning, I have to provide additional materials before I receive a 'Letter of Acceptance') came roughly ten working days before the semester start. If that wasn't crazy enough, I decided to defer it to next semester. I emailed them three or four times (and receive no reply, except an out of office) and went as far to CALL THEM (overseas) on got BOUNCED two times.

I didn't feel certain applying to that place. The Master program, as good as it seem, was very technical and expensive and not what my heart was really into. I love gaming, I love simulations for training purposes, but spending two years of my life to learn the programming... I can do it for less expensive (and time consuming) means.

My true passion (in serving GOD and HIS KINGDOM) came through my experiences with movies, how they changed and improved my life. In fact, some of the best games I've played had pretty good FMVs (Full Motion Videos) and great acting. So perhaps it was time I reevaluated my strengths and values.

I begin to compared the times in the past and the present, how hard it is for a Christian guy to grow up a virgin. While many people tolerate our Christianity, they like to mock up our virginity. How come? I dare you to trace it to the conspiracy between Hollywood, Playboy and other media that appear harmless at first glance.

Look at the superhero Superman for example. Do you know in the 1990's Lois & Clark series, Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher had wonderful chemistry. Back then, Clark Kent was a really good guy, firm in his believe in justice and fidelity? The the new post 9/11 version, the Smallville series, was very different. He had to juggle his relationship status, occasionally make out with a few women and when he temporarily lose his powers, he made love and lose his virginity to Lana Lang. Yet after the years followed on, Lana and Clark drifted away, partly because of 'never being inside her' and also 'for keeping too many secrets' from her.

Even if Clark isn't destined to be together with Lana Lang, why did he has to make love? What kind of message is the producers sending out? Smallville lose many Christians viewers since season 5.

In my opinion, I'm criticizing Smallville's story line, and in the process I realize that I have some talent in criticizing the media from a Christian perspective.

So I've decided to study Master of Arts in Communication (specializing in Critical Studies in Cinema and Television).

I've prayed long about this decision, and I feel GOD's hand guiding me toward there.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home